Single Muslim mums aims to provide practical support and guidance for OUR Muslim sisters and raise awareness of their constant struggles… because a strong Ummah needs strong mothers.
SHORT TERM AIMS:
- To build up a team of dedicated individuals
- To make the organization an official charity
- To develop a website
- To add in a donate page on the website
- To develop a support network online (Facebook and forums on website) and via meet ups/coffee mornings/events/talks
- To develop a business plan
- Online counselors/aalim/psychotherapist
- find more volunteers
- To promote awareness via: talks, asking imams/sheikhs to discuss the issue with brothers, media appearances, articles written, flyers to be handed out in libraries; GP’s; children’s centers; Netmums; Gingerbread organization; Carol Thomas; fundraising, social media and word of mouth.
LONG TERM AIMS:
- To set up help centers where sisters can come in for advice, funds and attend free workshops aimed at integrating back into society via learning a ‘trade’ to boost skills and become independent.
- To develop a phone line counseling service/help line where sisters can find out what governemntal help/benefits they are entitled to.
- To establish an emergency shelter or to be able to refer elsewhere (need to work with other charities then)
- Training up volunteers as counselors with basic skills
- A system where sisters go out and help women in need with tasks like cleaning, shopping, cooking (food rotas) and befriending, babysitting (emergency creches?)
- Community projects e.g. cleaning up the environment, spreading the word
- Zakaat/sadqa service (possibly ask the national zakaat service or other organizations for help) (possible short term emergency grants)
- To set up an informal ‘buddy’ service for boys to have an older boy/young man role model (do activities with) in a masjid supervised by brothers at the masjid.
- Free Islamic talks/ learning Qur’an at various venues – maybe at someone’s house from professional teachers with ijazaa and also links to parenting courses (if not our own)
- Free online psychotherapy counseling/advice on children and parenting problems
- Flats bought by masjids used as temporary housing for homeless single mums?
- To write a ‘guide book’ on coping with being a single mum and advice.
If you able to dedicate any time to helping in any of these areas or if you would like to join the team please let me know by filling in the form below. Jazakhallah khairan for your time and may Allah swt reward your efforts in wanting to carry out an act of sadqa jariya, ameen.