When I started this organisation I had no idea how to run a business and what it entailed. I still don’t, but starting up an organisation has taught me a lot more than I thought it would even though its not technically a business. I knew nothing about how to run a Facebook page, or how to use Twitter and I thought Pinterest was something only for the elite! Interacting and networking with other mums and sisters has taught me a lot and whilst I may still be looking for that je nais se quoi regarding me starting up a business at least I am armed with more knowledge in my arsenal now than I ever thought I would have. If I consider everyone to be as clueless as I am and I think what would I want to know before I started a business I guess some of the following questions come to mind:
- What ideas can I come up with would be good for a business especially as I’m a stay at home mum?
- How do I know what my strengths are?
- How do I know it will work?
- Do I need money to start up a business?
- How do I get started?
- What’s a business plan and do I need one?
- How long will I need to get my business up and running?
- How do I find clients?
- How do I stay motivated?
- How do I advertise?
There is probably an article out there already that sums this all up but I’ll attempt to do my best to answer all my own questions in a series of articles in sha Allah – bring on the knowledge in sha Allah!!
Ok, to begin with there are probably many business ideas you could do: I found some great articles on Pinterest (my new love!) about small business ideas. Here are a few:
- Amazon FBA: Amazon FBA is a program that allows you to send the stuff you want to sell on Amazon directly to an Amazon warehouse. When one of your items is sold Amazon will pick, pack, ship, and deal with customer service for you (for a fee, of course.)
- Blogging: This would probably be one of the ones I would be interested in the most. Anyone can blog – you write about stuff that interests or inspires you. I’ll in sha Allah do a separate post about how to make money from it.
- Freelance writing: Apparently you can make quick cash by taking this route if you are good!
- Software development: The great thing is you don’t have to know all about software, even if you have a great idea for an app you hire someone to do all the hard graft for you!
- Online courses: This is quite popular and I have seen many people selling their expertise by way of teaching others.
- Selling on Etsy: Ok, I’m not ashamed to say I didn’t even know what Etsy was until… today!! It’s a selling platform like Amazon or Ebay but where everything is handmade from clothes to home furnishings etc.
- Affiliate marketing: This is a type of performance based marketing where you work for yourself, selling someone else’s product and make money via commission such as ACN. You sell products directly from OTHER company’s websites through affiliate links. You can recommend the products you love, and explain why you don’t like some other stuff.
- Website Management: This covers a multitude of areas such as promoting on social media, selling ads, hiring writers etc.
- Multi-level marketing (MLM)/ Independent sales rep: Think Avon or Forever Living. With the independent sales rep you may throw a party where you sell your products and make commission; and with MLM you sign up people underneath you and receive a percentage of their sales.
- Pet sitting: I always thought this was an American thing but who knows!
- Hijama/selling home made herbal products for skin/health: This seems to be gaining popularity recently. Hijama or cupping is known to be beneficial and relieve the body of toxins which leave through the blood via little cuts. There are many courses around the country where you can go to learn how to do it.
Please keep an eye out in sha Allah for future articles answering the rest of the questions. Please check the link below for the original article.